As a Tech Director, you'll form part of a Cell’s Leadership Team, alongside a Managing Director, Product Director and Delivery Director. Together you'll be leading both operationally and strategically to promote joy, quality and growth throughout Red Badger.
Whilst everyone who works at Red Badger is aligned around the same strategy and values, the company is divided into smaller cross-functional business units, which we call Cells. Each Cell has its own profit + loss and autonomy to make decisions that are aligned with our company strategy. You will play a leadership role in one of these cells, managing a team of exceptional engineers and defining hiring strategies to ensure that Red Badger continues to have sustainable growth, whilst providing exciting opportunities and challenges for your team.
- Provide leadership to help define and drive strategy within your Cell and Red Badger.
- Proactively drive business change with Red Badger leadership and teams.
- Work closely with finance teams to understand and act on your Cell’s metrics (e.g. profit and loss, utilisation and people happiness).
- Lead and own client accounts and work streams, from shaping a project to delivering agreed outcomes.
- Become a trusted advisor for our clients by collaborating with them to solve problems, and create products and services which deliver business and user value.
- Manage complex digital transformation projects and help shape the technical direction of the client’s product delivery.
- Communicate with confidence to a broad range of stakeholders and client teams.
- Negotiate and manage client commercial agreements.
- Set up and shape appropriate Red Badger teams for our clients.
- Support with qualifying and shaping early-stage opportunities, and create proposals for new or existing clients.
- Work with sales and marketing teams to activate and grow your client network.
- Lead sales activities, from pitching and planning, through to commercials all the way to to project kick off.
- Champion Red Badger’s ways of working: cross functional teams, agile and lean best practices, building quality in.
- Understand and communicate our cross functional value chain (Engineering, QA, UXD, Insights and Delivery).
- Promote and live Red Badger’s principles (see below).
- Drive continuous improvement, quality and project delivery.
- Be an ambassador for Red Badger, and an advocate for ‘doing the right thing’, ‘doing the thing right’, supporting and enabling others to do so.
- Inspire, coach and support Badgers and clients in achieving their goals.
- Provide leadership for Engineers and Quality Assurance people in your Cell.
- Drive a culture of joy, quality and growth with Badger’s and clients.
- Line manage engineers and help them with their careers
- Provide technical guidance to the delivery team
- Directly guide the technical strategy for our clients and for Red Badger
- Work across one or more projects/delivery streams
- Build out new technology competencies within Red Badger
- Assist in mentoring and gathering feedback on Red Badger engineers and test leads.
- You are a leader who cares about people, their general well being and enabling them to become future leaders.
- You're a people person. At Red Badger this means people management and caring for peoples’ careers. You create environments in which they can grow and perform their best work.
- You are always learning and are curious to test and continuously improve what you do, and how you do it. You take others on that journey with you.
- You use data to drive your decisions.
- You’re proactive and are always looking for ways to make things better.
- You're honest and tell things as they are in an approachable and down-to-earth manner. You have clear points-of-view to give others direction and purpose.
- You want to play a key role in the future success of Red Badger and can demonstrate getting involved in strategic initiatives that contribute to a company’s growth.
- You embody Red Badger’s principles and encourage these traits in others.
- Have a background in full stack DevOps (including front end, back end, data storage, modern infrastructure, monitoring, logging, alerting and CI/CD) to deliver complex digital products.
- Are proactive and can find ways to solve complex problems and organise others to see ideas through to fruition.
- Have had a senior role in the creation of a customer-facing digital product.
- Have experience in sales and are confident shaping an engagement strategy with a new or existing client.
- You are commercially savvy and understand the impact of financial decisions.
- You participate and are interested in professional industry groups and communities, attending or speaking at conferences, and actively engage with others in your discipline
The best bit about Red Badger is, of course, the team. We’ve been around for 10+ years now and we are over 100 strong. We are really proud of our people; we support and learn a lot from each other; we work really hard but have fun doing it. We are a diverse group made up of 22 different nationalities, speaking 17 different languages.
Our 3 founders, Dave, Cain and Stu, who have considerable tech and consultancy experience and still own 100% of the company. We’ve been consistently profitable and have grown responsibly from the beginning
We are based at Old Street in the heart of “tech city” and get thoroughly stuck in with the brilliant community around us. We run several meetups including the hugely popular React London, invite other groups to host their events in our office such as Lua London and Ladies Who Code and speak at events like Digital Shoreditch and LNUG.
We make sure our team is well looked after with generous salaries and a great benefits package which includes
- Annual £2K training budget
- Generous Pension
- Group Life Insurance
- Income Replacement Benefit
- Critical Illness Cover
- Private Medical Insurance
- Your choice of hardware and mobile phone
- Matched (pre-tax) charity PAYE donations
- Cycle to work
- Enhanced parental leave
Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments at any point in the interview process.
Red Badger is proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we're dedicated to hiring and developing a diverse workforce.
< See all vacancies
How to Apply
If you'd like to know more or you want to apply please get in touch with your CV, Stackoverflow profile, Github, code, portfolio and anything else you think we might be interested in.